With the recent news that Justin Bieber had his pet capuchin monkey confiscated in a German Airport, he got me thinking about what other celebrities have taken the unconventional route with their chosen pets.
1. Michael Jackson and his chimp Bubbles - Justin Bieber isn't even close to the biggest pop star to have a primate as a pet. The King of Pop had a chimpanzee named Bubbles. The story had an unhappy ending when his chimp was taken from Neverland Ranch in 2002 due to aggressive behavior. That's not uncommon, since mental issues arise when primates are isolated from their own kind.
2. Nicolas Cage's octopus - What do you do if you need a little help or inspiration with your craft? If you're Nicolas Cage, you buy an octopus, of course. He reportedly said that studying the animal would make him a better actor. It’s not nearly the strangest thing Cage has bought. That award goes to his two shrunken heads.
3. Vanilla Ice and his wallaroo - He's had a mini comeback with his home renovation show The Vanilla Ice Project and a cameo in quite possibly the worst movie of all time. But in his "lost years" the Ice Man acquired Bucky, a cross between a wallaby and a kangaroo. Bucky and Ice's other weird pet, a goat, tried to escape, which landed the rapper a small fine and a little embarrassment.
4. Steven Tyler and his pet raccoon - The reigning grandfather of hard rock frontmen had a short career reboot as a judge on American Idol. But he used pretty poor judgement when he chose a pet raccoon as a kid in Yonkers, NY.
"I got myself a pet raccoon. I put him on my shoulder and went fishing with it every day," said Tyler while chatting with David Letterman. He's lucky he didn't get himself some rabies.
5. Paris Hilton and her kinkajou - A lot of people have seen Paris’s kinkajou... her exotic pet, Baby Luv, that is. The mammal native to the forests of Central and South America was apparently just as sick of Paris as the rest of us, when it bit her in 2006.
This is by no means meant to be a comprehensive list. Feel free to share your favorite oddball celebrity pets.